Civic Hall Toronto events showcase examples of civic innovation, and provide opportunities for members to network, learn and work together. Some events are exclusive to members, while others are open to the public.
Training Series: Communicating in the Open [2/2]
March 17 @ 12:00 pm - 1:15 pm
Why does Communicating in the Open matter?
As digital practices become best practices in government, public sector teams are being called on more often to discuss and share their work. And for good reason: open communication is one of the most effective tools governments can use to build trust, increase engagement, or improve the efficacy and uptake of new products and policies.
But despite the benefits, government teams have been slow to shift how they communicate. According to the OECD, less than 10 percent of governments list promoting transparency or encouraging stakeholder participation as one of the key objectives of their communication strategy. And activities like blogging or being active on social media can still be challenging in departments where communication is seen as a risk rather than an opportunity.
Whose is this training for?
Led by Luke Simcoe, Director of Outreach at Code for Canada, this training series will help public servants move their projects, their teams, and their processes into the open. Over the course of two 75-minute workshops, participants will learn how to tell a great story about their work and become catalysts for better communication in their organizations.
What to Expect
In Part 1 (March 10), we have…
- Learned how to craft a simple, actionable, and measurable communications plan for your project.
- Discovered how to get in front of potential barriers or blockers to communicating in the open.
- Seen examples of government communication that exemplify the principles of open communication.
- Connected with Code for Canada’s communications team, as well as other public servants who have become champions of communicating in the open.
In Part 2 (March 17), you will…
- Learn the common elements of every great story and how to find them in your work.
- Get in touch with your inner storyteller through a fun, facilitated writing exercise.
⚠️ Important Notes:
- Please note that members need to register for each session separately.
- This training series is exclusively open to our paid members and C4C Fellows.
- Training sessions will take place on WebEx and registered attendees will receive the event link prior to the session.
- If you have any questions, feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.